The service life of any building is greatly determined by the degree of protection from the harmful effects of moisture. In this article, we’re providing an overview of the main methods of waterproofing and lists the most effective materials used at the stage of construction or completing some major repairs. Based on this knowledge, you will be able to choose the technology of waterproofing work acceptable to you and purchase everything you need.
Types of Waterproofing
Most building materials are prone to moisture absorption. It makes the microclimate of your interior worse and gradually destroys the supporting structures. Waterproofing works are carried out to prevent such consequences in the future. Their goal is to create a protective layer impervious to water.
There are various types of waterproofing that allow you to achieve the desired result. Depending on the type of a building and the degree of contact of its elements with liquids, one or several methods of such protection are used:
- Coating waterproofing. It’s an outer coating of the protected structure with a viscous mixture which gains hardness over time. It’s done in one or several layers reaching a thickness of several millimeters to 2-3 cm. You have to fix all surface defects and cracks. The mixtures used for this purpose shouldn’t have water-repellent properties only, but also be firmly held on the base and have sufficient elasticity to withstand any temperature deformations.
- Waterproofing plaster. It attracts with its cheapness and minimal requirements for the professional skills of a master. It consists of 2-6 layers of film-forming compounds, the total thickness of which rarely exceeds 2 mm.
- Pasting waterproofing. Continuous gluing of sheet or roll waterproofing materials with excellent water-repellent properties on the elements of building structures can achieve a high degree of protection from getting wet. Pasting waterproofing is applied overlapping in order to hide all joints.
Some people also use injection or penetrating waterproofing. Discussing this question with home waterproofing services near me, I’ve found out that every case is unique. You need to have special support not to lose money and time.
Types of Materials
It’s understandable that various types of waterproofing require their own application technologies based on the use of universal or highly specialized materials. In general, they can be divided into two large groups: finished products with water-repellent properties which only need to be firmly fixed on the surface of the protected object, and special compositions or mixtures that form a protective layer after solidification or as the result of a chemical reaction.
Many water proofing companies near me offer a wide choice of materials:
- Bituminous waterproofing. This time-tested and most famous waterproofing material in its classic form is a cardboard cloth impregnated with low-melting petroleum bitumen.
- Fibre-glass roofing material. It looks similar to its classic prototype, but it’s not based on cardboard, but fiberglass fabric. Bitumen, rubber-bitumen or bitumen-polymer mixtures are applied to it from both sides.
- Folgoisol. It’s a combination of aluminum foil and a porous polymer layer. It’s used when you need to simultaneously perform hydraulic, steam, thermal or sound insulation of rooms.
- Brizol. This roll material doesn’t have a reinforcing frame. It has a homogeneous structure obtained by mixing petroleum bitumen with fine rubber crumbs, plasticizer and asbestos.
In conclusion, waterproofing is an important stage of construction or repair works. Its arrangement makes it possible to prevent the concrete base from getting wet and preserve its strength in an aggressive environment. Be very attentive choosing your future water proofing company.